November 19, 2009

Tour de Freaks ~ November

Time for another Tour de Freaks.  Remember, the tour officially starts on the 20th of each month, so stop by then in the morning to see it in full swing.

The theme for this month is altered art, stocking stuffers, gift and more.  Mostly 3D you see.

You probably just arrived from the fabulous blog of  Gretchen Barron

My first project is an altered wooden hanging plaque.  The base paper is from the Merry Moments designer series packet.  All other embellishments came from the Christmas Jingle Simple Scrappin pack.  Here's a suggestion if you try this yourself.  Use the beautiful papers in the Scrappin' pack instead of the Merry Moments.  I just happen to attach the paper before I thought of using the Scappin' kit.

I must have taken 30 photos of this and each came out blurry.  I finally opted to scan the plaque, which is the reason for the grey background color.



Here's a close-up of the details.  I used a gold zig pen to add color to the brown die cuts that came in the kit.  The center ornament you see here is actually the outside rim of where the green stripped ornament was held.  I adhered a peice of vanilla cardstock behind it after stamping the with a festive image (from the Pattern Pines set).  Additional gold dots with the Zig pen were added to the green stripes on the ornament and dots on the vanilla card stock and stamped image.



Here's the top of the plaque.  My large Bigz Scallop, Circle Cutter and Damask Texturz was used to create this embellishment.  Oh, and the Peace is from the Peace, Love, Joy and Cheer die.



Next up.  A plain white candle I picked up from a dollar store (the same place the plaque was purchased).  The candle had been sitting for a month (knowing I would eventually dress it up).  Who couldn't use a candle?




The paper once again is from the Christmas Jingle Scrappin' Kit.  The paper is adhered with sticky strip and the red paper going down the front  is a peel and stick border.  Quick and easy! 

The snowflakes are from the Patterned Pines set.  Emboss in gold on Vanilla card stock and stamp in Real Red on Vanilla card stock.  An additional stamped image and scallop punch finish it off nicely.

Here's a close-up.  The Joy once again is from the Peace, Love, Joy and Cheer die.



There you have it.   I hope these ideas help you to create some inspiring gifts and 3D items your self.

Next up on the hop is Connie Babbert.  I'm sure you can't wait to see what she has in store for you. 






Melanie

9 comments:

Wendy Weixler said...

Your projects ALWAYS have a wonderful elegance to them, and these are certainly no exception, Melanie!! And I can always appreciate a Dollar Store treasure that can be made over into something even MORE incredible! Totally terrific! :)

Connie Babbert said...

Your projects are beautiful, Melanie! They will make great gifts!

Cindy Major said...

WOW! I am so, so impressed with your projects. They're gorgeous! I think my favorite detail on the plaque is the ornament you created with the outside of the sticker. Adding the little poinsettia image from Patterned Pines was the perfect little touch! So scrumptious!

TFS!
Cindy :)

Dawn Olchefske said...

Great projects using the Christmas Jingle kit. The plaque is my favorite!

Carole'Anne AKA Stampin Stressaway said...

Oh Melanie
I just love these two projects you have created here!
Whow
What elegance and such a nice way to dress up an dollar store item
This looks so super Impressive!
Thank you for the great inspriation!
Really enjoy seing what you created here!

Shelly Schmidt said...

Beautiful work- lovely projects! TFS

Mary Brown said...

You are truly the QUEEN of altered items! You always give them such an amazing new life!

Mary Davidson said...

Wow! I love your altered plaque and candle. Absolutely beautiful!

Wendy J. said...

Melanie, what beautiful, very detailed projects! They are lovely and give me some great inspiration! Great job!